October 28, 2014
Sunset Overdrive is an open world shooter video game developed by Insomniac Games, and published by Microsoft Studios. It is exclusive to the Xbox One, and was announced during Microsoft's E3 2013 press event. It was released on October 28, 2014 for all countries.
Sunset Overdrive features real-time combat from a third person perspective and high speed traversal. Like many games developed by Insomniac, the game sports a variety of wild and crazy weaponry.
Insomniac first began working on Sunset Overdrive shortly after the release of Resistance 3. In it's earliest stages, Sunset Overdrive was a DayZ-like zombie shooter. At the time, it was a much more serious endeavor. The tone of the game took a complete 180, however, since the studio wished to go back to their Ratchet & Clank roots.
Insomniac took inspiration from several different things, varying from Popeye cartoons, to Halloween masks. Sunset Overdrive's grinding mechanics are also reminiscent of Tony Hawk skating games.
The game was officially revealed at E3 2013, as an Xbox One exclusive.
In 2027, the Fizzco corporation unleashed its newest product upon the public, Overcharge Delirium XT. This extremely popular (and contaminated) beverage has turned nearly the entire population of Sunset City into mutants.
Following the outbreak, several groups of bandits were formed, terrorizing on other survivors. During these troubled times, a lone teenager decides to not only survive, but thrive.
Single Player CampaignEdit
- The single-player campaign concerns a new energy drink manufactured by Fizzco named Overcharge Delirium XT, which turns it's drinkers into mutants. The player must stop the mutants from ravaging the Sunset City. This portion of the game features more side-missions than the multi-player side of the game. 
Online Multiplayer Edit
- Sunset Overdrive's mulitplayer features up to 8 player co-op, the missions are smaller tasks that ultimately lead to a final night time defence. The missions for the most part are competitive pitting the players against each other to score the most points in a round by completing the various objectives. After the night time defenseu s with multiply your score there is also the Chaos multiplier which depending on what missions the lobby undertook with increase the multiplier ( For example the achievement to obtain a chaos score of 325% in one of the areas) after this there is up to 5 prizes you can win if your final score was over a certain amount. These vary from amps or amp upgrades if you already have that amp, clothes, overcharge and cash to increasing a weapons level.
The game began early development near the end of development of Resistance 3. The initial prototype for the game involved co-op gameplay where multiple players would construct forts and fight off demons. In this form, it was a pure third-person shooter game. Over time, the concept merged to a story-driven, open-world game, and the demons were replaced by mutants. Elements of the base defense idea remained however.
At the Gamescom 2014 press conference, Microsoft announced a Sunset Overdrive themed Xbox One bundle, which includes the following:
A digital copy of Sunset Overdrive, a white Xbox One console, and a matching controller (previously only available to Microsoft employees), and various day-one edition digital in-game items. The bundle was available for pre-order on Amazon.com.
Day One EditionEdit
The Day One Edition of Sunset Overdrive is a pre-order exclusive version of the game, and includes the following:
- The full Sunset Overdrive game.
- Nothin’ but the Hits (weapon)
- It’s Me! Fizzie! (outfit)
- Hardcore! Hammer (weapon)
Initially, many fans of Insomniac Games voiced their disappointment at Sunset Overdrive being an Xbox One exclusive, considering most of Insomniac's previous titles have been PlayStation exclusives. However, overall reception of the game has been very positive, especially from critics and the Xbox community.
Sunset Overdrive was nominated for 58 nominations at E3 2014, winning 30. Among the categories won were "Best Original Game" and "Best Action/Adventure Game" from Game Critics Awards.
- The game will feature a combo-control set.
- Insomniac is open to doing a sequel, but it depends on finding a publisher. Insomniac currently owns the Sunset Overdrive IP, so a sequel wouldn't necessarily be an Xbox exclusive.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04uKME1dn4U
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/30/how-you-can-play-sunset-overdrive-in-june
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtM1JiGdUY&t=
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEjhtZ-nPAM
- ↑ https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sunset-overdrive-sequel-could-happen-if-the-right-/1100-6454450/