In 2027, the Fizzco corporation released a contaminated drink known as the OverCharge Delirium XT into the city, resulting in an outbreak of grotesquely mutated humans simply known as OverCharge Drinkers. This outbreak resulted in nearly the entire population of Sunset City being turned into OD, setting the story of the game.
Sunset City is divided into 4 main districts, each with its own distinct look and landmarks.
- Old Factory District - Main industrial centre and location of the OverCharge party.
- Little Tokyo District - Japanese-themed Commercial and Residential zone.
- Harbor District - Marina district and shipping docks.
- Downtown District - Main city centre and home to Fizzco HQ.
- Sunset City is the third iteration of the game world. The first version was Greenlight, which was not designed around traversal because most of the action was to take place indoors. The second version was Razor City, which was closer to Sunset City, but included areas that were off limits during open world play, which caused problems when designing traversal paths around those areas. For more on this, check out this video.